The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
About the job:
The CSIR has a vacancy for an Instrumentation Technologist in the Coastal and Ports Engineering research group within the Smart Mobility cluster. The purpose of this job is to support the metocean capability as well as instrumentation and equipment in the physical modelling laboratory. This position is based in Stellenbosch.
For more information about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/smart-mobility
- Maintain and repair oceanographic related equipment;
- Prepare equipment for field operations, including packing lists and other relevant documentation;
- Support equipment in the field under the supervision of the Project Leader/Senior Technologist. This will require travelling locally and possibly internationally as part of a team or individually;
- Support (repair and maintain) instrumentation in the Physical Model Laboratory;
- Process collected data;
- Write reports.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A BTech in electrical engineering (Light Current), with at least six years’ experience in instrumentation or data processing;
- An interest in marine instrumentation;
- Unix/Linux environment experience;
- Experience in programming, e.g. C, C++, Python, HTML, JAVA, etc.
- Information technology experience (Network Protocols and remote communications);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to perform physical activities, including lifting and carrying heavy equipment;
- Ability to work at sea on small and large vessels;
- Department of Manpower Certified Diver, or the ability to be trained as one;
- Ability to work at heights;
- Ability to problem solve, fault find and to work as part of a team or individually;
- Valid Code EB driver’s licence (unendorsed) with own transport. Code C1 is preferred.
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment01@csir.co.za Please do-not send your application to this mailbox as its only meant for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.