The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
In-service Training: Field Support
About the job:
The CSIR has four (4) In-service Training opportunities in the e-Government impact area, within the Next Generation Enterprises and Institutions Cluster. The purpose of the In-Service Training is to provide incumbents with an opportunity to gain practical work experience through providing on-site technical support to end-users within the rural ICT education environment.
These opportunities will be based in Pretoria for the first four (4) months, and thereafter it will be based in Thaba-Nchu in the Free State for the remainder of the contract.
For more information about the cluster, please visit https://www.csir.co.za/nextgen-enterprises-and-institutions
- Troubleshoot software, hardware, network and access issues (tablets, laptops, etc);
- Generate weekly reports on equipment and network status; and
- Manage ad hoc projects e.g. data collection and analysis, user needs survey);
- Monitor that all Digital Doorways are online and available for use;
- Resolve problems over the phone before requesting support or maintenance;
- Build relations with DD Champions over the phone;
- Log all requests as tickets in iTop (Network Management System) and follow up on all open requests to make sure that they are resolved and update the tickets accordingly;
- Request support when problems cannot be solved over the phone;
- Follow up with maintenance and support team on progress of site maintenance;
- Communicate with champions and provide them with maintenance schedules and maintenance updates;
- Report problems to Service Desk Manager.
- A Senior Certificate/Matric (Grade 12), and must currently be enrolled for a National Diploma in information technology, computer systems engineering or related fields;
- Must have completed 2nd year theoretical studies and is required to undertake P1 or P2 training;
- Must be in possession of a letter from an institution indicating that they require P1 or P2 training;
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
Closing date: 20 March 2021
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please email us at Recruitment03@csir.co.za. Please do-not send your application to this mailbox, it is only for inquiries.
The CSIR is an equal opportunity employer. As such, it is committed to the Employment Equity Act of 1998. By applying for this position at the CSIR, the applicant understands, consents and agrees that the CSIR may solicit a credit and criminal report from a registered credit bureau and/or SAPS (in relation to positions that require trust and honesty and/or entail the handling of cash or finances) and may also verify the applicant’s educational qualifications and employment history. The CSIR reserves the right to remove the advertisement at any time before the stated closing date and it further reserves the right not to appoint if a suitable candidate is not identified.